Thursday, August 17, 2006

Left Behind - the video game

I've enjoyed reading the Left Behind series, though I'm only halfway through the entire series. I've even watched the first two movies featuring Kirk Cameron a.k.a Mike Seaver (oh, how I miss those days). Then I came across this article today about a new video game based off the popular series. At first I was curious about the storyline this video game based on the book series would follow. Your main objective, I gather, is to recruit people. Sounds a bit boring but makes sense. Then comes the violence. If you can't convert the non-believers, you have to kill them. Say what????

I play a lot of violent games, in fact, I don't know if I own any non-violent games that aren't sports based. I'm not an expert but I'd guess that most games involve some sort of "killing" the enemy. Even games like Disney's Kingdom Hearts, which I still have yet to complete the first installment, have you killing these shadow creatures. The killing doesn't include severed body parts and blood spattering everywhere but it is killing. I'm not going to get wrapped around the axle about this but killing "people" because they refuse to convert might be sending the wrong impression about a very touchy subject. I think because of the touchy subject that maybe this video game has gone a little too far and might not be appropriate right now. I wonder if this game has received any sort of blessing from the books creators, Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. Do I think this game will spark a rash of real life killings? In a word, no. However, I think it's rather odd that a faith based game would have violence of any kind. Are they trying to appeal to gamers and simply sell a product in hopes of making as much money as they possibly can? I would think that this type of game would try to send a very specific message and refrain from any sort of violence.

2 Comments:

Blogger evolver said...

The books - I gather - are very violent. I find it quite disturbing, but that's a theological debate. But it does seem strange, no?

August 29, 2006 10:12 PM  
Blogger SJR said...

This statement is posted from an employee of Left Behind Games on behalf of Troy Lyndon, our Chief Executive Officer.

There has been in incredible amount of MISINFORMATION published in the media and in online blogs here and elsewhere.

Pacifist Christians and other groups are taking the game material out of context to support their own causes. There is NO “killing in the name of God” and NO “convert or die”. There are NO “negative portrayals of Muslims” and there are NO “points for killing”.

Please play the game demo for yourself (to at least level 5 of 40) to get an accurate perspective, or listen to what CREDIBLE unbiased experts are saying after reviewing the game at www.leftbehindgames.com/pages/controversy.com

Then, we’d love to hear your feedback as an informed player.

The reality is that we’re receiving reports everyday of how this game is positively affecting lives by all who play it.

Thank you for taking the time to be a responsible blogger.

January 17, 2007 2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home