Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mixology 101

I'm uber excited about my new little adventure. I just started my 40 hour professional bartending course at, you guessed it, The Professional Bartending School in Arlington. It's a serious chunk of time (4 hours a day), especially after a full day of work but it's a whole lot of fun. My brain is working overtime trying to remember 24 different drinks that I learned in one night. I think I've got them down so bring on another batch of drinks.

I really have no idea what I'll do with this new skill. I'm just excited about learning all sorts of drinks and how they are made. One short fall, I have no clue what these drinks taste like because we use colored water. Boooooooooooo! Makes sense because alcohol is expensive and how could anyone learn if they're drunk.

Soon I'll know what to do with those two bottles of vodka and bourbon and they actually might taste good too! Apparently vodka mixes well with everything but I'm too chicken to test that theory. I know why it's called a screwdriver. I also now know that the names of these drinks actually mean something and certain words have meaning. A sloe (yes, its spelled like that for a reason) comfortable screw against the wall has all the ingreidients listed in the name. Sloe=sloe gin, comfortable=southern comfort, screw=orange juice and wall=Galliano (a licorice and vanilla taste, which supposedly tastes nasty). You can even take out screw and insert doggy style which is grapefruit juice. I learned what's in a spicy bloody mary and I'll be skipping that drink. Oh, and I know the name for a free shot at the bar. However, I'd advise against ever really ordering it. Well, it's off to class. Hooray bartending!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ph said...

Sloe gin fizz was one of my favorite drinks...until I went to Ireland and discovered Whiskey.

July 19, 2006 7:55 AM  
Blogger teddyjb said...

Also known as a sloe gin collins.
1 oz sloe gin
2 oz sour mix
give it a short shake
top with soda water
garnish with a cherry and an orange
straw and serve

Women drink vodka
men drink whiskey
gentlemen drink scotch
(I didn't come up with this so don't shoot the messenger)

Oh, I spotted Jameson, lots of it. Now I just have to figure out an excuse...hmmm perhaps a bartending graduation gift from the office.

July 19, 2006 10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I need help desperately! I live in Oklahoma, attending bartending school and I am at the end of my two weeks. I passed my Mid term and Final all written of course. NOW I have to take a speed final of 12 drinks in 7 minutes. I have studied my ass off and I have done quite a few practice speed finals. But it seems that either the drinks I am iffy on get called or I get them all perfect but missing the mark by just a bit timewise. I am a firm believer that bartending is not just about speed. Its about quality and taste. Who cares if you can pump out 12 drinks in 7 minutes?! Does it taste good? Are they coming back for more cause it does? I just need help. I don't want to label it as cheating, maybe just assisting or helping. But is there a particular list of drinks that is used for this speed final that I can get from you and / or anyone else so that the drinks can be narrowed down? I have literally been taught over 225 drinks in 10 days! And I need a job asap, my bills are so far behind and I want to start working and learning first hand as soon as possible. But I can't seem to get by the speed final. The association that I am under is ABLE, and the school I believe is associated with Texas school of bartenders ( I dont know if that helps) so if you have any info you can give me on this I would so greatly appreciate it.
Thank you so much!
ANY HELP EMAIL wecandoit23 at hotmail.com

April 13, 2007 11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home