Wednesday, July 13, 2005

So much for doing it for your country

I recently came across an article about good old Gary Sheffield. Yeah, that's Mr. I didn't know they were steriods. Sorry, I can't help taking a shot at a Yankee(serious Yankee hater). The jist of the article is that Sheffield will not participate in the World Baseball Classic in March 2006. In fact, he even uttered to the New York Daily News "my season begins when I get paid." Way to go Sheffield! People love nothing better than greedy stuck up athlete, but what's new about that? I can understand his concern about possible injury but to continue on and say that you don't want to play in something made up, than I suggest you may want to stop playing baseball altogether. I believe someone or a group of people came up with the concept we now know as baseball, America's pastime. Sheffield even compared this start up WBC with the Olympics by saying to the New York Daily News "This isn't the Olympics...that's a big difference. This is something you made up." Hmm, at one point the Olympics were made up.

The World Baseball Classic will be the only format for the world to see their favorite baseball stars compete. Recently the IOC elimanated baseball and softball from the event. Were is the pride in playing for your country Mr. Sheffield? Oh, that's right, you only care about baseball if your getting paid. I'm all for this World Baseball Classic. Hopefully, in the years to come, it will pick up interest and continue on, even if it doesn't receive the attention of the Olympics or the World Cup(oh yeah, that was made up as well).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home